Thursday, March 26, 2009

THE DEVIL

Copyright
THE DEVIL

My eyes agleam, I faced poor gullible Maureen. “Of course I don’t believe in the devil.” I said. “Who does nowadays except half wits who play the lottery and go to church?”
I pursed my lips. I had seen her in the lotto line that very afternoon.
Maureen quavered: “Well you never know, do you? I mean he (I chimed in with “or she”), well yes, he or she could exist”.
“Look Maureen” I said firmly, “have you ever seen the devil?”
“She wavered. “Well, no, but I did have a dream where I was chased by one with a long tail. I remember his large hands” She shivered.
“Oh Maureen” I said, “That was a dream about sex. Everyone has those sort of fantasies.” I smiled at her indulgently.
She looked relieved but then suddenly screamed out in terror. I knew why. I had swung my tail right in front of her. Poor Maureen.
THE END
(